Top   Profile   Gallery   Links

2011/07/15

Learn from SANSUIKEI

Among Dogen Zenji's Shōbōgenzō (正法眼蔵), Treasury of the True Dharma Eye, there is a chapter called "SANSUIKEI".  While I was looking for some expert on the recondite subject, I was introduced to Mr.  Kosen Sasagawa, a head priest of Busshoji temple and Tenryu temple in Fukui. 

He is popular among young people since he opens his Zen Dojyo to the public.  They affectionately call him Sasakawa Roshi.

He advised me not to be bothered with meaning and letters of the book, but focus on the feeling and impression when it is read out loud.

By my understanding, I can translate the advice like this: do not look at mountains and waters through their shapes, but be mountains and waters themselves when observe.

I wonder how it happens. 

I have played with water in the river last 30 years.  If they allow me to overcount myself that I understand the wonder of the water even a part,  I would say that I see everything is in the water.

Even the hot weather like today, 35's open air, it still contains 57% of humidity. When looking at every objects around us, we can not see without water.  When we look at rocks, for example, we also see water in the rocks.  Then, the rocks look so different.

In the same way, mountains and water exist in the present containing everlasting past.  Therefore, mountains follow mountains' truth, and water follows water's truth.  Dogen, as well as our ancestors, shows us the way to face the nature like this.

Now, I start reading "SANSUIKEI".



*Dogen Zenji = Japanese Zen monk who lived 1200-1253, and founder of the Soto school of Zen in Japan.

Mr.  Kosen Sasagawa     Photo:Yu Nozaki