Top   Profile   Gallery   Links

2011/07/19

Japanese water sings

When I became a 1st grader, “Haruno Ogawa” was the first song which I learned at my elementary school.  After I graduated from high school, I moved to Tokyo.  I often sung to myself “Haruno Ogawa”, The Small Stream in the Spring, and “Furusato”, My Old Country Home.

I never forget the lyrics of these songs.  When I sing the songs, I can clearly picture the scenery of my home, and gives me a feeling of affection. 

For long years, I believe “Haruno Ogawa” has profoundly influenced on cultivating aesthetic sentiment of Japanese people.  You can hear the sweet and beautiful harmony of water and human relationship throughout the song.


Spring has come and the small stream flows babbling between its banks.
The small stream goes whispering between the violets and milk vetches,
Wishing them grace, color and beauty, all blossoming on the stream banks.

Spring has come and the small stream flows babbling between its banks.
The small stream goes whispering to the shrimp, to the schools of minnows.
Swim merrily all day in the sun, merrily in the water may you go.

Translated by YAMAGISHI, Katsuei
It develops our sense of beauty by singing like “flows babbling” where as if we can hear the river makes musical notes and “whispers” as if they carry the feeling while it flows down.

When I follow each wards of the song, I cannot help thinking about the affection which Japanese people have for the water.